02 August 2008

Training in Dover

Dover Beach, Friday 1 August


Training in Dover Harbour has been and fun and interesting. Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, but it was very windy. When I got to the beach there were a few other swimmers who had just completed their swims. I met Cliff and chatted with him before my swim.

When I got in the water I noticed two things; the water didn't feel cold to me at all and it is really, really salty. I don't remember it being that salty when I was here last May. I just remember it was really cold.

There are piers with ferry terminals on either side of the harbour. The walls of these terminals create the harbour where the swimmers, sailers and rowers train. With the wind coming from the south, the right wall provided a little relief and the water was calmer. The other side of the harbour was very choppy because the water was being pushed against the opposite wall. I swam for an hour and a half in the choppy water.

Saturday 2 August


Today was cloudy and the water was even choppier than the day before. We gathered early on the beach because the swimmers had to be out of the water by 1pm for the Dover Regatta. After checking in with Freda, getting my cap and greasing up, I was ready for my 4 hour swim.

It was low tide when I started swimming and even though it wasn't as windy as the before, there was a lot of water moving around in the harbour. I swam laps back and forth from swimmers beach to the left wall. I came in after an hour and 20 mintues and got a warm cup of juice and Maxim from Barry. I spend much of the next hour swimming against the current, swimming in place for 5 mintues for at time. It was a bit calmer in that spot so I could relax and not fight the water. After a while the current let me go and I swam forward. Then I turned around, swam back and did it over again. During the third hour the waves picked up even more as the tide came in. It was hard to keep from swallowing water or see over the waves. I wrapped up the swim at 3 hours and 50 minutes.

My friend Tony, who attempted to swim the channel last year, came down on the train from London for the day. After the swim we got paela and a pint from the vendors at the regatta.

Here is the view of the harbour after today's swim.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

o-O. Choppy water. Guess who :-)

Elaine Howley said...

Wow, look at that wind. I hope it clears up soon. But a 4-hour in that stuff is great- well done. We'll miss you in Nantasket this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Dori - Roberta your Boston Light colleague here.

Just wanted to wish you a successful swim!! Have a great time and enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Dori - Best of Luck - I'm thinking about you - Scott