28 May 2008

Look Ma, no sharks!

I often get asked if there are sharks in the English Channel. I have assured my mother that I am not at risk of being attacked by a shark in the English Channel. My biggest marine life threat will be jelly fish.

I don't know that sharks do not exist in the waters between England and France, but according to a recent report on the International Shark File website titled "ISAF 2007 Worldwide Shark Attack Summary," attacks in the UK are pretty rare:

"As in recent years, the majority (61%: 43 attacks) of unprovoked attacks occurred in North American waters. Traditionally, half of the world's attacks occur in United States (including Hawaii) waters. The total of 50 attacks in the U.S. waters was higher than the declines recorded in 2003-2006 (ranging from 30-40), returning to 2000-2001 levels of 53 and 50, respectively. Elsewhere, attacks occurred in Australia (13 - up from 7 in 2006 but similar to 2004-2005 totals of 13 and 10), South Africa (2), and New Caledonia (2), with single incidents reported from Fiji, Ecuador, Mexico, and New Zealand."


According to ISAF, my odds are 1 in 11.5 million for being attacked by a shark, and 0 in 264.1 million for being killed by a shark. (ISAF Shark Statistics)

Sometimes I bump into a stick while I'm swimming and it startles me. To ensure that I get a good night sleep before my swim I will pass on watching JAWS.

More information about sharks, research and conservation can be found at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

No comments: